Wednesday, April 2, 2008

15 Step

20 odd shows. 26 nights. 18 odd gigs. 20 good people. Too many litres. Spell check tells me I've spelt litre wrong. I know when I'm right. Except for when I'm wrong in which case I think I'm right until I realise I'm wrong. Stupid American spell check.

I can say that because I am an Australian/American, unlike one comedian I saw at the Hifi who thought that because he lived there once for a year he thinks it's okay for the first thing to leave his mouth when he came out on stage to be "I hate Americans. Who here hates Americans?" to which a gaggle of ignorant morons reply with woots and yeahs. It would be a completely different story if he came out and said "I hate Jews. Who here hates Jews?" I'm not saying that Jews have it sweet but to come out on stage and the first thing that you expound to the audience is "I hate Americans" says to me that you have some mighty fine blinders on. After all, whether you like it or not people we are America Lite. The fact that I sit here typing this with a Krispy Kreme doughnut by my side only serves to reinforce my statement. It's not as though by saying this I am advocating the outrageous violations to both basic Human rights and decency that the United States has and will commit. All I am saying is that in 100 years people will look back with mouths a gasp and fists clenched at the US and we will be right there beside it. This notion that Australians are somewhat better, holier, less to blame than our American counterparts is true only in our fiction loving minds. We followed the President like we followed the Queen into Gallipoli and for that ladies and gentlemen we can only blame ourselves and those bodies which represent us. It is a sad fact that Internationally, Australians are becoming social pariahs just as much as our annoying soya mocha latte decaff with a twist Yankee brothers and sisters. But no. It's so much easier to hate than to acknowledge that we are becoming more and more similar ever day and try to make a change from there. But it's so much easier.

When it boils down to it, it's just plain racist. It's just us and them. Which is awesome. It makes me proud to be Human. If you're not part of the problem you're part of the bigger nastier all encompassing problem that will ensure the ultimate destruction of us all. "I'm not racist. I love black people. But I fucken' hate Americans"

One more night. 3 more shows. 20 good people. Too many litres.
A long way to go.

1 comment:

Andrea Gibbs said...

Oh, god. I have too many steps to go. Just starting to feel the strain now.